Friday, September 12, 2008

Taylor has begun two new things. Preschool started the first Tuesday in September. She loves it and transitioned without any problems.



Ballet started the following Friday. She told me she wanted to be a ballerina. I signed her up for a combo tap/ballet class. She was so excited to go and did great during the ballet part of her first class. The second half of the class was devoted to tap. She did well until there was about ten minutes left. She suddenly froze and got a real concerned look on her face. She started to wimper and soon it turned to a full on bawl. Her teachers helped her but she wasn't at all calm for the remainder of the lesson. When she got out she was beet red and told me that she never wanted to dance again. I was watching her the entire lesson and couldn't figure out what went wrong. Taylor told me she wasn't excited for dance anymore and she never wanted to go back to the ballet place. I continued to probe her to find the reason. Finally she told me, "those tap shoes are too noisy." She couldn't tolerate the sound of 10 little people tapping their hearts out. I can't say that I blame her. Throughout the week I convinced her that the noise the tap shoes make is normal. Today she attended her second tap/ballet combo class tear free.

No comments: